Wednesday 27 April 2011

Thin hair




I'm really frustrated with my hair. It's thin. I've always had thin hair, but because I have lots of layers it looks even thinner. The hair at my nape is quite sparse and if you're trying to reach SL, you need good density in the nape area. Case in point

I decided to do a length check and straightened just the hair at my nape. Truth is, I couldn't be bothered to straighten all of it. You can see just how see through my hair is. My hair in the middle of my head is not long enough to reach down to my nape, providing an additional layer of hair to create the illusion of fullness.

My hair is still texlaxed. I haven't put any chemicals on my hair since November. I'm in two minds as to whether to relax or not. My hair is thin and I'm scared a relaxer will make it look thinner. On the other hand, my texlaxed hair doesn't behave like an afro (naturally) but believe me, when it's dry with no product, it's as dry as an afro. I'm really not sure what to do. I hoped my hair would be long enough by now to go into a decent looking pony tail but it's not.

I look at other people's hair and some of them go from bald/TWA to SL in a year! It's been a year and 4 months since i started this hair journey and I'm still only at the bottom of my neck!

I'm lurking on the LHCF SL challenge. There are some members there who seem to have hair of similar density to mine so that's encouraging.

I suppose I just seem to be finding lots of Youtubers who have very thick hair which grows like weeds. Very few seem to have thin hair like mine. I've found a few so far who seem to have hair that grows at the same pace as mine and is just as thin, nalia1908 & blackhairchronicles but they are naturals.

I'm not sure what I can do with my hair since it's not long enough for a pony tail and braid outs require too much manipulation, so back to the wigs it is.

The good news is, I've gained some inches. My hair on the sides is 7.5 to 8 inches in places and my crown is 7 inches but it's not all even. My hair in the middle breaks so easily so i have to be so careful with it.

4 comments:

  1. hello:) I had had the exact same things going on with my hair. My crown is the worst and it is now breaking again. I am following your journey hoping to see you accomplish your goal length as well as mine. So far I have learned:

    - no lye relaxers dont work for me.
    -I need a stylist that will relax my hair according to the different textures and done in sections (which I have not found).
    - I must do a last rinse with bottled water after my conditioner because I have hard water and I can feel the difference when I dont.
    -trimming is needed starting from the middle of my hair and out because clipping just the ends at the bottom doesn't work.
    -I can only use oils on my scalp if I'm washing it out the next day or it will start itching.

    I went natural for two yrs and my hair was even worse. It did thicken up but, the dryness was horrible and the ends would split as fast as it was growing...

    but... I'm not giving up just yet! I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    I'm still not sure if I'm going to go natural yet.I toy with the idea every now and again.

    In the meantime, wigs are definitely helping me not think about my hair too much.

    My hair isn't breaking as much these days. Deep conditioning helps. Try alternating between a light protein and a moisturizing conditioner

    Good luck with your hair and don't forget to share your tips. We can learn from each other
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i can totally agree with this i have relaxed hair but i only relax ike 1 or twice a yr....but the back bit of my hair is so uneven verrrrrry thin, some parts in the middle are very very short.i braid my hair every yr during winter and leave in for like 3 months...my hair is neck lengh and i really want to get to shoulder lengh atleast by the end of this yr....i only use natural oils(jbco,evco and jjo) i moisturised everyday now and im taking my country life hair vitamins soooo im two months in my new regime and i hope i can see a difference when i take these braids out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      how's your hair growth coming? have you reached SL yet?

      Delete